Garbage/Recycle/Yard Waste Collections
The City of Rome residents are provided curbside service for garbage, recycling, yard waste, and trash collections.
The department operates on a 4-day collection schedule. All of your waste (household garbage, recycling, yard waste cart, and junk items) will be collected on the same day between the hours of 7 am and 5 pm. All items should be placed curbside on your scheduled collection day. Please call our office for your area's collection day.
Future Holiday(s) Schedule
The 2021 Calendar for Solid Waste Collections as follows:
- Veterans Day, Thursday, November 11th – Workweek: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday.
- Monday’s route will be collected on Monday, November 8th.
- Tuesday’s route will be collected on Tuesday, November 9th.
- Wednesday, November 10th, Thursday’s route will be collected.
- Friday’s route will be collected on Friday, November 12th.
- Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 25th – Workweek: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday.
- Monday’s route will be collected on Monday, November 22th
- Tuesday’s route will be collected on Tuesday, November 23th
- Wednesday, November 24th, Thursday’s route will be collected
- Friday’s route will be collected on Friday, November 26th
- Christmas Holidays, Thursday and Friday, December 23 &24th – Workweek: Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.
- Monday’s route will be collected on Monday, December 20th
- Tuesday’s route will be collected on Tuesday, December 21st
- Wednesday, December 22th Thursday’s & Friday’s route will be collected. NO YARD CART SERVICE
- New Year’s Day, Monday, January 3rd – Workweek: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.
- Monday’s route will be collected on Tuesday, January 4th
- Tuesday’s route will be collected on Wednesday, January 5th
- Thursday’s route will be collected on Thursday, January 6th
- Friday’s route will be collected on Friday, January 7th
Our Department operates its Solid Waste Collections by providing residents with a City-issued 65 or 95-gallon garbage cart. All garbage must be contained in the sized cart you have subscribed to. Residents may choose to subscribe to multiple garbage carts. The monthly charge is included in your monthly utility bill.
2021 Residential Fee Schedule
- 65-gallon city-issued cart $ 9.95 per month
- 65-gallon city-issued (additional cart) $ 7.80 per month
- 95-gallon city issued $15.25 per/month
- 95-gallon city-issued (additional cart) $11.25 per month
Solid Waste Brochure - English and Spanish Version Available
Please contact our office at 706-236-4580 and we will be happy to email or send by mail the Solid Waste Brochure in English or Spanish relating to your garbage, recycling and yard cart needs.
The City provides each resident with a 65-gallon recycling cart. All items to be collected shall be placed into the cart provided by the City. Please do not sort items in the cart. Unacceptable materials and/or garbage left in the recycling cart will result in the cart not being serviced and/or penalties added to your utility bill.
The following are the only items collected by the City of Rome Curbside Recycling:
- Number 1 and 2 plastic bottles and jars (soda bottles, milk jugs, detergent containers). Please rinse.
- Aluminum food/beverage cans and tin food cans. Please make sure cans are emptied of all contents and rinsed.
- Corrugated cardboard. Please flatten.
- Junk mail (do not bag)
- Newspaper and all of its contents and magazines.
- Paperboard (cereal boxes, gift boxes, shoe boxes, and clean TV dinner boxes). Remove liners and flatten.
- The city does not collect plastic bags at the curbside.
- The city does not collect shredded paper or styrofoam.
Should a resident or business wish to recycle shredded paper, they may take it to the Rome/Floyd Recycle Center located at:
Floyd County Recycling Center
412 Lavender Drive
Rome, GA 30161
- Small items of junk like small appliances, small broken toys, etc should be placed in your garbage cart. For a collection of larger items such as old furniture should be placed at the street by 7 am on the day of your garbage service day.
- The City does not collect construction or demolition material, including Roofing, Rock, Cement, Dirt, Paint, Oil, or any Free Liquid.
- We do not collect Freezers, Refrigerators, A/C Units, or any items that would use refrigerate gas.
- If you have any questions concerning an item you wish to dispose of that is not listed please contact our office at 706-236-4580.
Residents are issued a 95 gallon "Yard Waste Only" cart for the collection of yard debris (grass clippings, weeds, pine straw, small limbs, etc). Residents are charged a monthly fee of $1.60 for each yard cart. Please do not place leaves in garbage bags in the yard cart. Please no rocks or dirt.
Loose Debris (Non-Containerized)
Limbs and brush that will not fit into a yard cart and is not over 500 pounds or 4 cubic yards may be placed out for collection for the grabber truck to collect. Tree limbs or branches should not exceed 8 feet in length or over 200 pounds in weight. Please note: This type of collection is done by route and not by schedule. Once your street is serviced, it takes the grabber truck approximately 4-6 weeks to return to your area to service your street again. Please call our office at 706-236-4580 to get an estimated date of when we will be servicing your area.
Please note: The city does not collect debris placed out by contractors and/or lawn service companies. They are responsible for hauling off yard waste.
Debris that exceeds the weight and/or the cubic yard limits will be collected for a fee. The minimum fee is $170 per trailer.
Commercial Services Available
The Solid Waste Collections department may also provide garbage collection services for businesses. Subscription level of service starts at a service of 65 or 95-gallon carts, or dumpster service for 4, 6, and 8 cubic yard dumpsters. The department will rent and/or sell dumpsters to businesses that have applied for service with the City of Rome, when available.To have brush/yard debris and/or cart recycling collected by the city of Rome, businesses must have subscribed to garbage service with the city.
Please contact our office for more information at 706-236-4580.