An assembly is defined in Rome, Georgia Code of Ordinance as any any outdoor event, regardless of the number of participants, which meets the following definition:Any demonstration, rally, protest, march, parade, motorcade, procession of any kind, or similar display, consisting of persons, animals, or vehicles, or a combination thereof, having a common purpose, design, destination, or goal, which does not fit into the following exclusions:
- Funeral processions
- Students going to and from school classes or participating in education classes, provided this conduct is under the immediate direction and supervision of the proper school authorities
- An event or occurrence sponsored by a governmental agency acting within the scope of its functions
- A family gathering
No person shall, without first being permitted by the chief of police or his/her appointed designee ("permitting officer") after application made according to the requirements set out hereinafter, conduct, engage in, participate in, aid, form, or start an assembly:
- In any city building, structure, parking lot, recreational facility, or square, or
- Upon any street, sidewalk, park, or public right-of-way in the city which requires the temporary closing or obstruction of all or a portion of any city street, sidewalk, park, or public right-of-way, or
- Upon any street, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or any other city property involving a motorized vehicle, or
- Upon any street, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or any other city property involving the use of any electronic sound amplification system (other than a radio or recorder or other device which is possessed and used by an individual for his/her own enjoyment and is operated in such a manner so as to not interfere with the use and enjoyment of any other person).
For events occurring within the Downtown Rome, please contact the Downtown Development Authority for approval prior to submitting an assembly permit application.
For events occurring within a city park, please contact the Rome/Floyd Parks and Recreation department for approval prior to submitting an assembly permit application.
Questions concerning assemblies should be directed to Major Paul Webber, 706-238-5105.