Exterior Paint Program
The city is a participant of the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program administered through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The City uses this grant to provide assistance for low- and moderate-income residents through services emphasizing decent housing, a suitable living environment, and expanded economic opportunity.
The Exterior Paint Program (EPP) provides exterior painting services to residential homes in significant need of service. This opportunity is available for income-eligible individuals and households residing in the City of Rome. All eligible exterior paint activities and/or relevant repairs must be on the house itself.
Additional requirements not stated in these Guidelines may apply and thus, these Guidelines may be amended from time to time by the City of Rome to reflect these changes.
Based on available funding, the City of Rome provides eligible homeowners a one-time grant, up to $5,000 within a five-year period. For homeowners to be eligible, they must meet the following requirements:
- Reside within the city limits of Rome, Georgia.
- Be at or below 80% of the area median income (HUD’s definition of low income based on verified gross household income and household size -see income chart below).
- Own and occupy the property as primary residence. Must show proof that the applicant currently resides in the property by providing a utility bill in the applicant’s name.
- Be current on property taxes.
- Be current on mortgage payments or have paid off mortgage.
- Certify that the property is not being offered for sale and is the primary residence.
- Have homeowner’s insurance and/or flood insurance (should flood insurance be required).
- Have owned and resided in the property proposed for rehabilitation for at least 12 months prior to assistance under this program.
Maximum Income Limit by Household Size
“Low/Mod-Household Income” shall mean all the persons occupying the housing unit whose total income does not exceed 80% of the area median income, adjusted for household size, as established by HUD.
Program staff will review complete applications on a first come, first served basis. Staff determines if the household and property are eligible based on the application, other supporting documentation, and inspections. If the applicant does not satisfy the program requirements, staff will send a notice of ineligibility which documents the reasons for the decision. If the applicant is eligible, staff shall arrange for an inspection of the property to determine the eligibility of the scope of work for the property. If a property does not qualify for assistance based on the inspection the homeowner will be notified.
The City of Rome Community Development Department has established a pre-qualification procedure for contractors and maintains a list of pre-qualified contractors. Contracts for work under the City of Rome’s Exterior Rehabilitation Programs are awarded only to contractors who have been pre-qualified. Any contractor desiring to bid on these projects must meet the requirements with the City of Rome Community Development Department with a completed application and required documents on file.
The following items are needed to process an application:
- Complete Contractor Application (no supporting documents included)
- Current Georgia Contractor License (if applicable/not required)
- Current City of Rome License (if applicable/not required)
- ALL Current Certifications and Painting EPA Certification (if applicable)
- A current Georgia EPA Lead Renovation Firm License (if applicable)
- Certificate of Insurance with the City of Rome as the Certificate Holder
- Certificate of Non-Discrimination Form
- Drug-Free Workplace Certificate Form
- E-Verify Compliance Affidavit Form
- SAVE Compliance Affidavit
- Section 3 Business Concern Certification (if applicable)
- W-9/ Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification Form
- Non-Collusion Affidavit
All applicants who submit a Contractor Application will be notified in writing of their status in a timely manner. A determination of pre-qualification to participate in the City of Rome’s Rehabilitation Program is good for one year from the date of notice and may be renewed annually. If, in the opinion of the City of Rome Community Development Department, the contractor meets the Program’s standards for qualified contractors, the Contractor’s name will be placed on the Qualified Contractor Register. If approved, you will be contacted by our department staff to provide a bid on the homes that are eligible for our Rehabilitation Program
Contractor Application (with supporting documents included)
|Household Size||Maximum Income (80% of the Area Median)|